Tuesday, February 2, 2016

ASHLEY MARTIN

     When you think of the modern day athlete,  you usually don't have too many positive thoughts about them off the field/court. The stereotype is that they are selfish and  think of themselves first and foremost, never giving back to the communities that they come from.  Although we know that this isn't always the case, it is refreshing to work with an athlete that is doing something to promote change and positivity for others.  The truly astounding part about Ashley Martin is that she is still in High School.  I know that when I was in H.S., I only thought of myself. 

     "Ashley became a priority recruit from the moment we first saw her. We can run her at the guard spot and she can score, post up smaller guards, make great reads, even bring the ball up-but we can also run her in the post if we need to, simply due to her height and mentality for the game. This is a kid who can do a little bit of everything and will only get better and better. She will be a tremendous addition to or team immediately", said Iona Head Coach Billi Godsey. 

     It is my pleasure to introduce you to a young lady that wears many hats. I'm proud to say that she is a TRAIN WITH ERIC HARRIS client, but she is also a human rights activist, student-athlete, change agent, and future Iona Gael-Ashley Martin.

TRAIN WITH ERIC HARRIS: For those that don't know you, who is Ashley Martin?  What drives you?

ASHLEY MARTIN: In terms of basketball, the competition drives me.  Always wanting to be the best whenever I step on the court. I want to make my name known whenever we play.

TWEH: Your dad (Chucky Martin) was very successful as a player. (Now assistant coach @ Indiana University.) Do you ever think about that when you have success on the court? Do you believe that it's genetics?

AM: Not at all. Don't get me wrong, my dad is a huge part of my career. I get my work-ethic from him and my mom.  As far as skills, I don't think it's genetics.  I think it's a lot of hard work!  Both of us being in the gym at 6 am and going on runs. Parents can always influence their kids, but it was always my choice to play basketball.  He never pushed it on me.

TWEH: It's usually the opposite with most dad's that have played the game on a high level.  They become too involved.

AM: He was never like that.  It's funny because he actually didn't want me to play AAU.  I really had to get it going on my own in terms of finding an AAU team.  Once he saw me putting that extra effort in, he started to workout with me.  Then he contacted you so that we could really get after it. 

TWEH: Who do you play AAU with?

AM: Westchester Hoopers.

TWEH: Your mom (Jackie Phelps) is a steady presence in your life, how important is she?

AM: My mom's impact has been tremendous. She has always been my go to.  It's great to have both parents, but mom has been that steady presence who takes me to games, practices and workouts with you.  She's not a basketball voice, so she can just give her unbiased viewpoint on certain situations.

TWEH: It seems like you have a very strong support system-I feel like that's very important to anyone that's trying to be successful.  Your mom talks very highly of former UNC Tarheel and current Columbia University coach Derrick Phelps. Are you you guys related?  What role does he play?

AM: No, we aren't related.  Derrick has been a very good mentor during my basketball career and the recruiting process.  He has played a key role.

TWEH: Congrats on your commitment to Iona College.  I know that you're excited.  What are some of your goals from an individual and team standpoint?

AM: Individually I want to continue to keep getting better and learn how to be productive on the collegiate level.  Rookie of the M.A.A.C. is a goal that I have in mind.  If I work hard enough and the stars align for me, then that will be a possibility.  In terms of the team, I want to win the M.A.A.C. championship.  We have a really good 2016 class coming in next year and I feel we can make a run for it.

TWEH: What made up your mind in terms of choosing the Gaels? What other schools were interested?

AM: Delaware, Hofstra and Rider.  What sealed the deal was Iona had a really good family atmosphere and it was a really good fit in regards to the coaching staff and the size of the school.  I felt really comfortable with every single one of the coaches.  I could call any one of the coaches right now and it would be like talking to a coach who's been coaching me for years.

TWEH: What was your parents approach to this important decision?

AM: My parents left it up to me and helped out with the pros and cons.  Obviously, if I was going crazy and making a bad decision-they would've put their input in.

TWEH: Coach Godsey seems like a really nice person.  See also seems committed to taking that program to the next level. So don't be fooled by how nice she is off the court-lol. I know that she and her staff are going to push you.  Do you welcome that challenge?

AM: Of course!  I wouldn't be playing basketball if I didn't want to be pushed by my coaches.  Coach Godsey and Coach Kelly do get after the players in practice and in games.  That's one of the main reasons that I chose Iona.  I trust them to really push me to that next level.

TWEH:Tell us about your foundation  www.survivalchildrenfoundation.org. I'm really impressed that you are so passionate about helping others in Ghana.  You rarely see that in today's self-absorbed youth culture. Where did it all begin? Why does it mean so much?

AM: My mom & I first went to Ghana 3 years ago when I was 15 on vacation.  We went to one of the poorest towns in Ghana and we had a chance to hang out with the kids and speak to the people.  That opportunity gave us a chance to see what it was really about.  It was such a moving experience. As soon as we left the town, I wanted to go back and spend the rest of our trip there.  I didn't realize what I wanted to do until we returned to N.Y.

TWEH: What was the leg work like?

AM: Once we got back to New York, I said to my mom that 'we should come up with some ideas to help the kids in the town.'  We finally agreed to do the foundation and go from their in our pursuit to help the kids. Originally she didn't want to do it because she knew it would be a huge responsibility, but I was just so committed to it. I called one of my classmate's parent-who's a lawyer, and he helped with drawing up the legal documents to incorporate the organization. I also asked a family friend to help with office space and we wound up getting a space for free.

TWEH: What issues did you see while in Ghana that were so disturbing?

AM: The poverty, lack of accessible running water-so many things.  What really moved me was that everyone was still so happy & positive. If these people were happy with literally nothing, who would I be not to help them out if I have the power to?

TWEH: How can people help to support the cause?

AM: We have fundraisers to bring in funds. One fundraiser that turned out to be a fun idea was when we sold jewelry.  People that are interested in supporting  should check out the site, there is a lot of info there.

TWEH: Back to hoops. Who do you pattern your game after?

AM: Diana Taurasi is a big idol of mine and Derrick Rose. I would say a combination of those 2 guards.

TWEH: Favorite artist?

AM: I like hip hop, R&B and pop. I'm kind of all over the place.

TWEH: Favorite shoe to ball in?

AM: It doesn't matter. As long as they lace up & have good traction, I'm good.

TWEH: What do you want to pursue academically @ Iona?

AM: I'm interested in psychology, I think that with the foundation and not really knowing what I want to do after college-something to think about is child psychology. If I do end up pursuing the organization, then maybe a minor in business.

TWEH: Any aspirations to play after Iona?

AM: Of course, I feel that every basketball players dream is to play after college. That opportunity would be a huge blessing.  If not, you need a plan B.

TWEH: Favorite subject in school?

AM: Don't really have a favorite. They're all pretty much the same to me.

TWEH: What's your GPA?

AM: B's all the way thru.

TWEH: Thx for your time Ashley. It's a priveledge to train you and see your development on the court. Most importantly, I'm inspired by what you're doing off of it.  Keep being an inspiration to your generation as well.  Keep up the great work!

AM: Thx for everything Eric!

Websites
www.survivalchildrenfoundation.org
www.iona.edu
www.marymountnyc.org

Instagram:
@itshley
@iona_wbb
@westchesterhoopers

No comments:

Post a Comment