Friday, July 13, 2012

NIKE SKILLS U

NIKE SKILLS U

7/12/12 (Day 2)

The players are still showing a great work ethic on the 2nd day. The biggest concept that we are trying to teach these kids is how to excel on the defensive end in the half-court set.
Defensive positioning is crucial in terms of getting consistent minutes on the collegiate level. Most of these kids don't understand how disciplined, intense, and vocal you have to be on defense. I'm quite sure that by the end of the week, they will have a better feel!

The first set of games were pretty good even though we lost two close ones. Ironically, the player that is standing out the most to me is a New York kid. Dayshon Smith is a former Rice Raider & currently goes to Putnam Science Academy. "Scootch" as they call him, is listed @ 6'2. He is very skilled and crafty with both hands. Defensively he gets after it and doesn't back down from a challenge. When he starts knocking that mid-range shot down consistently, he's going to be a problem. He just needs to get stronger physically. If I'm recruiting Dayshon, I would love his ability to constantly get in the lane and get others involved. As well as the fact that he keeps the same demeanor while he's on the court-he doesn't get too high or too low.

While watching the USA team play the Dominican Republic, I notice that coach Fraschilla is calling the game. I go way back with coach-he recruited me in 94' to go to Manhattan College. I can't wait to see him tomorrow to talk about the good old days, the game of basketball today, and commentating. I'll touch bases with you tomorrow in regards to day 3.

Eric Harris
trainwithericharris@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment